So you’re looking to construct a building for residential or commercial use. There are many options you can go with as far as the material is concerned. Steel is always a material that people consider due to its durability. Here are the pros and cons you should be aware of if you want help with your decision.
Pros of Going with a Steel Building
– The obvious pro is the durability of steel. Steel buildings will do a better job of withstanding the elements including rain, snow, hail, heavy winds, high temperature, and exposure to UV rays. With other materials, you’ll need regular maintenance and replacement to fix the wear and tear.
– Fast construction. Because the steel parts are built already, it will less time to construct. The frames are already measured and cut, so it’s just a matter of installing the different parts together.
– Better temperature regulation. Steel buildings can do a great job of dealing with heat better than other materials. At the same time, it can help you maintain cool and warm temperatures inside the building with proper insulation.
Cons of Going with Steel
Of course, there are many downsides to going with steel as well.
– Possible Corrosion. Because the material is made out of metal, it’s going to be prone to corrosion. Corrosion will occur at faster rates in humid climates. Of course, there are treatments that can help protect the steel from corroding.
– Can be Costly. Obviously, the cost of steel is going to be higher than many of the other materials you can choose from. You should only opt for steel if you want a building for the long term.
– Not as flexible. If you do not know if you’re going to be using the building for a long time, you should avoid steel. Fabric buildings are great because you can easily move them from location to location at a low cost. Steel isn’t as flexible.
These are the pros and cons to look at if you’re thinking about steel for your building’s construction. Steel is probably best for long-term projects in a non-humid climate. Otherwise, you should look into using other materials and options for your building.
With over 20 years of industry experience, Coverco Buildings is the team you can trust when it comes to fabric and steel structures. We offer versatile solutions by providing economical and customized pre-designed buildings for the oil & gas, agricultural, mining, and recreational industries. Our superior engineering is what separates us from the rest, as we emphasize structural integrity, guaranteeing that our buildings can stand against all sorts of terrain and weather changes. With 50-year warranties, we offer you the best service in Ontario, Calgary, and Regina. Call us on 855-931-8600 today.